Volunteering in our Shops
article by: DH
The GWR has two retail outlets one each at Toddington Station and Cheltenham Racecourse Station (CRC). Each is an important income stream to our railway and a point of contact for our many passengers and visitors
Staff have the choice working at either or both locations whichever is the most convenient.
The main duties are to interact with customers, providing them with an efficient, friendly service whilst maximizing sales and profits for the Railway.
As a retail volunteer you will be specifically responsible for:
- Opening the shops at least 30 minutes before the departure of the first train from Toddington for Toddington shop and 30 minutes before the arrival of the first train at CRC (special service days this may change)
- Closing time at CRC is normally after the last steam train departs and at Toddington 20 minutes after the last steam service arrives back at Toddington in both cases of course subject to there being no further customers.
- When on duty you are expected to be on duty on the Railway all day.
- Whilst no uniform is provided you will ideally wear GWSR branded clothing where appropriate, but ideally also black trousers or skirt and black shoes in common with other Station staff and always keep a smart and business like appearance.
- Prioritising sales activities and customer contact to help maximise sales and customer satisfaction.
- Customer interaction is important and an alert and business like demeanour is expected at all times.
- Keeping the shop in a clean and tidy manner at all times, using the equipment provided, emptying the waste bin at the end of the day
- You are also required to tidy stock on shelves
- Using the message book or e-mail to make the Retail Manager aware of any special orders, stock queries or complaints.
- Processing and recording all sales using the EPOS System and, where appropriate credit card terminal. The vast majority of our items are now bar coded and scanning the item correctly through the till is the normal method,
- Retail volunteers do not need to be computer literate, but they do need to be comfortable using electronic equipment.
- Completing as necessary in full the end of day returns.
- Seeking to improve relevant knowledge, techniques and skills. Keeping to current health and safety practices and other requirements relating to care of stock and equipment.
You also need to be aware:
- No specific fitness levels are required, although you should be prepared to be on your feet for a considerable period of time.
- You will need to have a cheerful disposition and a sense of humour.
- Experience in Customer Service is an advantage but not essential, as guidance will be given.
- Basic numeracy will be required,
- It is important that you have a bright friendly manner, enthusiasm and a willingness to help.
- Volunteers can choose to work at either location, as each offers many opportunities, which are equally interesting.
- We encourage our volunteers to be warm, friendly, caring people, who will welcome you into the team.
- Full training on all aspects will be given and ongoing support is available.
- You will make new friends and gain satisfaction from making a significant contribution to the railway.
For further information and to apply:
If you would like to get involved with our Shop Team please see here to learn how to become a volunteer.