We are aiming to resume our monthly Meet The Recruitment Team (MTRT) sessions on 20 February 2021, in our dedicated volunteer training centre, on Platform 1, at Winchcombe Station. Subsequent sessions are planned for 20 March and 17 April 2021.
Therefore, if you are interested in volunteering and are not sure which volunteer role is best for you, why not come and meet our Recruitment Team to hear what volunteering is all about and which roles are currently available.
If we are able to resume these events in February, we will have to limit the number of people that we can host in our training room. Consequently, our Recruitment Officer, Steve Francis, will keep a 'register of interest', as attendance will have to be by invitation only. Therefore, if you are thinking of coming along, please email Steve at firstname.lastname@example.org
Recruitment Manager: email@example.com
Recruitment Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Induction Manager: email@example.com
Becoming a volunteer on our Railway is a great opportunity to help keep one of Gloucestershire's foremost visitor attractions running - and it is fun too! Uniquely for a Heritage Railway of our size we rely almost exclusively on volunteers to keep it operational. The professionalism which our volunteers bring to the Role they are undertaking, is always appreciated by our visitors.
Our 'Join Us' booklet gives you full information on Membership and an overview of Volunteering. You can download it by clicking on the picture and you will find a member application at the back of the booklet. Alternatively, you can join on-line here. A volunteer application can be found here. The ‘Join Us’ booklet also gives details of our Youth Group for 14 to 18-year olds. However, be aware the Group is currently being reformed. Keep a watch on the Youth Group web page on this web site for full details when they become available.
Current Volunteer Vacancies
Currently we only have vacancies in the volunteer roles shown below. If the Role that you are interested in is not listed, it is because that department is not currently looking for new volunteers. Please consider another as a way of getting started but watch this page as this is where new vacancies are posted.
At your Volunteer Induction you will be told how you can join another Department or transfer between our Departments (subject to vacancies and suitability).
For full details of what volunteering in each department involves please follow the links on the left of this page.
Administration have vacancies for admin assistants prepared to help Heads of Department on a part-time basis.
Carriage and Wagon have general vacancies in the Refurbishment and Restoration team, but are specifically looking for carpenters/joiners, or anyone with good woodworking skills. Also, for anyone with an aptitude or interest in working on carriage doors or locks.
The Carriage Cleaning and Washing teams need additional volunteers on a Monday at Toddington, while the Carriage Maintenance team is also looking for new recruits on a Friday, preferably with some mechanical, or electrical skills/knowledge, or an aptitude for practical DIY
We are looking for a skilled joiner, a tradesman or an experienced woodworker with knowledge of timber framed vehicles or buildings to work with the team that owns steam locomotive 2807 in the maintenance and restoration of their GWR built Siphon (G) so that in the future the vehicle is weathertight and secure to provide storage for materials and parts required for the overhaul of their ex-GWR locomotive. For a copy of the full terms of reference for this volunteer position please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Construction and Maintenance has vacancies. We are looking particularly for volunteers with knowledge of building design & construction, or experience in building trades including bricklaying, carpentry, painting, plumbing and drainage. We would also welcome a qualified electrician who could also turn his/her hands to more general work. But anyone with reasonable DIY ability would be useful to us, as many jobs do not require special skills. Volunteers are also required who have landscaping or project management skills.
Vacancies in this Department are very limited, although consideration will be given to anyone who has relevant railway experience, or proven machinery and engineering skills.
The Cotswold Diesel Railcar Group has vacancies for volunteers with diesel engine experience to help with ongoing maintenance."
Our First Response Team have vacancies for new volunteers who are prepared to train in first aid skills. You will be expected to help provide first aid cover at our events as well as on normal operational days. While you can join this department, you can also do this as an add on to other volunteering.
Do you have verifiable first aid or health care professional skills? This Team would love to hear from you.
GWRT Promotions have vacancies in the Trust's Information Centre at Toddington.
Lineside clearance working on Wednesdays and Saturdays to keep the vegetation growth on our embankments along the railway under control. Physical open-air work so a good way to keep fit.
Lineside Drainage We are currently recruiting for this important Team working out doors keeping the drains and culverts that run under our railway free flowing.
Meet and Greet Team. Volunteers required for the 2021 operating season.
Our Model Railway at Winchcombe needs volunteers who can work on their own but like meeting and talking to our visitors as they view the exhibits. Experience of working with DCC-operated model railways is helpful but not essential as training can be given.
Railway Catering Services are looking for new volunteers to get involved with our cafes at Winchcombe and Broadway Stations and the buffet bars on our trains. (RCS do not run the Flag and whistle at Toddington.
Retail run our shops at Toddington and Cheltenham Race Course. Retail experience not essential as training given.
Safety Management. We have vacancies for two Senior Safety Advisors. Possession of a formal qualification is not necessary, but potential recruits must have practical experience of understanding and applying risk assessments.
Signalling Systems. We currently have vacancies in the S&T Greasing & Oiling Maintenance Team. Previous S&T experience is not a prerequisite.
Special Events. This Team provide the extra staff that are essential to make our Special Events a success. If you can only volunteer at weekends and then not on a regular basis this could be for you but note we would like you to do at least two sessions at our major events through the summer and get involved in our Santa trains in December. Special Events is a good place to start if your wanted role is not currently available or you just want to learn about our Railway before committing further. Volunteers are currently needed for the Santa Special season, mainly to work as 'elves'
Station Management – Our Station Management Teams are looking for new volunteers but be prepared to be flexible as to which Team to join. Cheltenham Race Course are specifically looking for volunteers with Building Trade skills.
Station Staff. Vacancies exist for Station Assistants.
Steam Dept. There is no training available at the moment, so applicants will be put 'on hold' until training places become available. This is likely to be early in the New Year.
The Toddington Narrow Gauge Railway who share our site at Toddington, are looking for volunteers to join them as Booking Office clerks and as Guards. If interested please complete our volunteer application form, stating narrow gauge railway as your choice, and send it to us and we will forward it on.
The Track/Permanent Way Department currently has vacancies.
Travelling Ticket Inspector. (TTI) We currently have TTI vacancies for volunteers willing to work on weekdays and/or weekends. However, there is no training taking place at the moment, so new volunteers will initially be put 'on hold' until a training place becomes available.
For all other volunteering opportunities please keep a watch on this web page as the list will be updated as vacancies occur.
How do I join as a Volunteer?
If you would like to be considered as a volunteer, please submit the Volunteer Application Form you can download here indicating the Volunteer Role you would like to be considered for. If you are not a Trust Member you must complete a Membership application at the same time.
On receipt, your application will be acknowledged and then be passed to the relevant Department who may ask you to meet them. Alternatively, they will indicate to the Recruitment Officer they are happy to accept you.
Once your chosen Department have accepted you, you will be asked to attend a Volunteer Induction, at which you will be required to complete and sign a Safeguarding Declaration, so that you can volunteer alongside Young Persons/Vulnerable Adults and on days when children are visiting the railway.
Following your Induction, you will receive an introductory 3-month Temporary Work Permit to allow your volunteering to get underway. Your first three months will be by way of a familiarisation period at the end of which you will normally receive a Full Work Permit renewable annually on the anniversary date of your Trust Membership.
Volunteer Inductions are normally held on the 3rd Saturday of each month except December.
From time to time, for whatever reason, a volunteer recruit finds that volunteering with us is not for them after they have been along a few times. In these circumstances we will happily refund membership fees if requested provided a Full Work Permit has not been issued and the Trust Membership Card is returned with the free travel voucher intact (not used).
Volunteering with a Disability
If you are considering volunteering but have a disability or you want to apply on behalf of someone with a disability then this briefing note will give initial guidance.
VOLUNTEERING - general requirements
To volunteer on our Railway, you must: -
- Understand that completion of an application is not a guarantee of an offer of a Volunteer Role.
- be a Member of the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway Trust. If you are not already a Member please apply to join by completing the Trust form found at the back of the Join Us booklet, or by clicking on the picture above or by joining on line here. You will not be able to attend our volunteer Induction, and therefore volunteer, until you are a Member.
- meet our minimum age requirement please contact us for details
- have your own transport to reach our Railway as most volunteering is based at Toddington or Winchcombe, both of which have poor public transport connections.
- be enthusiastic in what you do.
- have a willingness to learn new skills.
- be prepared to be committed to regular volunteering with us (as a general guide you should be prepared to volunteer 2 to 3 full days per month, but you can do more!).
- appreciate some Volunteer Roles require you to be able to get to the Railway early and / or finish late.
- have a good level of fitness and mobility suitable for the role you are applying for
- be able to understand and follow rules given to you, for your own safety and the safety of others.
- accept as a volunteer you will receive no payment for the work you do or any travelling expenses to or from the Railway.
- accept as a volunteer you may be required to wear a uniform or safety clothes / equipment which you will have to provide at your own expense.
- accept as a volunteer if you have given a commitment to attend the Railway by allowing yourself to be rostered for any duty on any given day you are expected to attend to fulfil that duty or find a suitable replacement
- be aware that the volunteer application form asks for an Emergency Contact. In giving those details you will be confirming that you have the explicit consent of the Emergency Contact to give their contact details and for them to be printed on your Work Permit and it is your responsibility to keep this current
- as a volunteer understand you will effectively be volunteering for Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway plc and that all administration work in respect of your application will be carried out by the plc's Recruitment Officer.
- understand that appointments to a volunteer management role are done through advertising the vacant position internally to existing volunteers and appointing a suitable applicant following interview.
- as a prospective volunteer know that the Railway complies with all current Data Protection Regulation and that information given on your application will only be used in connection with your volunteering.
The Railway’s Recruitment Team look forward to talking to you about volunteer opportunities on our Railway.