Working in our Admin Office
article by: SJO
The GWR has a central administration department located in an office at Toddington Station dealing with a very varied mix of tasks. This office and the volunteer manning it is often the first point of contact with the railway the office aims to provide an efficient, friendly service. The office is open every day, except Christmas Day, even when the railway is not running.
The main duties are the opening and closing of the office, dealing with telephone calls, emails and face-to-face questions and requests from customers, members, volunteers and delivery drivers, dealing with the post, in and out, lost property and leaflet requests .
Staff working in our admin office are expected to prioritise customer care and service above all other considerations.
Our Admin Team are responsible for:
- Opening the office and associated gates at the required time and closing them at the end of the day. When on duty you are expected to be on the Railway for a full shift.
- Dealing with enquires received via the telephone, email and in person in a friendly efficient and appropriate manner.
- Taking on-line bookings.
- Franking the outgoing post and if your personal circumstances allow taking it to the post office, collecting the incoming post from the post box, sorting it and placing it in the relevant internal mail box.
- Dealing with lost property via the approved system.
- General administration tasks as requested by the department head, such as envelope filling, photocopying, general typing etc.
- Being tidy and smart when on duty. Wearing the name badge provided at all times. No uniform is provided but you are welcome to dress in a complimentary manner to other station staff.
- Seeking to improve relevant knowledge, techniques and skills.
- Keeping to current health and safety practices and other requirements relating to the role
You should also know that:
- No specific fitness levels are required, although you should be prepared to be on fairly active and to be able to move boxes.
- You will need to have a cheerful disposition and a sense of humour.
- Experience in Customer Service is an advantage but not essential, as training will be given.
- Basic numeracy will be required, but most important is a friendly manner, enthusiasm and a willingness to help.
- Our staff members are warm, friendly, caring people, who will welcome you into the team.
- Full training on all aspects will be given and ongoing support is available.
- You will make new friends and gain satisfaction from making a significant contribution to the railway.
For further information and to apply:
If you would like to get involved with our Admin Team please see here to learn how to become a volunteer.